• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

ian9113

Sergeant
3 Badges
Jun 27, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
Lithuania%20flag-XL-anim.gif

Laisva Lietuva
-----
Free Lithuania

Contents:

Chapter 1: Prologue
Chapter 2: The First Warning
Chapter 3: A Sight for Sore Eyes
Chapter 4: Toil and Broil

Last edited:
Chapter 1: Prologue
Lithuania%20flag-XS-anim.gif

In the year 1831, a great event occurred in the Russian-controlled regions of Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia known as the November Uprising. Thousands of nationalist rebels fought against the oppressive Russian government for freedom. The Russians made a strategical error when they focused their military mainly on Poland. The Baltic countries were able to establish independence. By the time the Polish rebels had been crushed, the Russians decided they wanted the war over with.

I took office in 1836. My name is Petras Antinis, current advisor to His Majesty Tomas V. This story is of the Lithuanian people's struggle for freedom while surrounded by hostile enemies. It is a well-known fact that the Russians will be back for vengance in the years to come. Can our government advance the country to a level where it may actually be able to sustain itself? Or will we end up as just another annexed territory, never to see the light of day again.

The World in 1836:

v2maplit1836111.png

Last edited:
Cool flag effect, horrible water effect.

I'm not sure if you or your fellow Baltics have any realistic chance of suvivial. It might be best to either bow to Russia or seek the friendship of Berlin.

What is Lithuania's population?

Chapter 2: The First Warning

It is early January of 1836. Lithuania is a small country bordered to the north by Latvia, to the east and south by the evil Russians, and to the west by the Prussians, who control the historically Lithuanian province of Memel.

A look at the Departments of the Kingdom:

v21i.png

Lithuania has a fairly unexciting production; most of it agricultural.

v22q.png

The current budget is rather good at the moment.

v23.png

The Government is of course a monarchy. Currently, there are no political reforms in place, Lithuania is too small to enact any.

v24z.png

The majority of Lithuanians are Catholic, conservative farmers who are anti-military. That's not going to help very much...

Later on, I advised the King to seek alliances with the other Baltic nations. He was ecstatic when Estonia agreed, however Latvia appears to have no interest in alliance. (it said "impossible," I wasn't going to waste diplomatic points on that)

v25c.png

On February 26, 1836, the thieving Russians declared war on our Baltic allie:

v26.png

Unfortunately, the military had not been a priority. Immediately, His Majesty commissioned two divisions of troops; all that Lithuania could muster:

v27.png

Soon, the Russians had moved towards Vilnius:

v29.png

While in Estonia, they seemed to be making a show of force:

v210.png

The King and I immediately knew that there was no way Lithuania could win the war, let alone avoid the annexation of Estonia.

Soon, our first troops had been recruited in Vilnius. The following battle was as expected. Apparently we need to increase the education budget as our pathetic troops couldn't kill a single Russian:

v213.png

The circumstance was repeated when our other division finished recruiting.

After the Russians had occupied all of Estonia and half of Lithuania, they sent us an offering of peace, which the King promptly declined.

About a month later, the Russians had completely occupied Lithuania and we had been forced into peace. Estonia was now lost again.
v222.png

Shortly after the war ended, the King commissioned the recruitment of three new military divisions, and the upper house was re-arranged:
v225.png

Oh dear....

The World in 1837:
v2maplit1837111.png

Last edited:
It's not water! :wacko:

But anyway, I too think there is little chance for survival. I tried increasing relations with Sweden but to no avail. Prussia doesn't like me either, probably because I have a core on Memel. I'm thinking of conquering Latvia to gain status and power, then perhaps I will have a chance of gaining allies and fighting off the Russians. We'll see though.

Why Are You Training irregulars and not Infantry? as a small country wouldn't you want better soldiers since you cant field that many

Some countries can't train regular infantry right away. I don't know for sure but maybe Lithuania is one of them?

I Doubt It, If Ethiopia can, Lithuania can

Also, Irregulars train faster.
Considering the Russians were already in his country & if they occupy a province all builds in it are cancelled, I'd say it was probably the best choice.

Well, I didn't have a choice. Lithuania started out with exactly zero technologies, just like an uncivilized country. :mad:

Maybe you could remove Russian cores on the Baltic provinces? Or possibly you could put yourself in the SoI of the UK or something

I would absolutely love to do this, but 1) it would completely ruin the whole point of this AAR and 2) I don't know how to edit the savegame files, just the normal text ones. That's how I got the Baltic countries to not be satellites in the first place, but I never bothered to remove Russian cores...

Ah, you see nations like Lithuania weren't ment to start off, so they don't get any technologies (I think they get the nation that releases thems tech).

You should've added some techs, at least as many as Egypt or something.
Oh well.

Chapter 3: A Sight for Sore Eyes

By January of 1837, the Lithuanian Government was in a state of terror. Rumors were spreading that Lithuania would be annexed by Russia before 1840. A feeling of imminent defeat had engulfed Vilnius, but had seemingly left His Majesty untouched.

Despite the dire circumstances, the King remained staunch, saying again that he would protect his people until the very bitter end. And, the King had just devised a plan that, while risky, could bring his people stability--for the meantime.

The plan was to take Latvia. Many of the Liberals were completely against the idea, but many of the others in the house recognized that it was necessary. And in this case, it was literally do or die. The King advocated that he had to do something to protect his people.

Early on in 1837, we received an interesting request:
v21y.png

I advised the King to decline; what use was a powerless city-state as doomed as us, if not more?

After that, I advised the King to raise relations with Russia:
v22p.png

It would be a long time before they got to zero.

As soon as the foreign office had acquired enough diplomacy points, Lithuania historically declared war on Latvia:
v24t.png

Latvia had an army of just two irregular divisions, stationed in Riga. They were soon defeated by our irregulars:
v25.png

Soon our troops had spread to occupy most of Latvia:
v26.png

While we gained control of Latvia, an interesting event occurred:
v27.png
Although I advised the King to not support the movement, he decided to give the Liberals a run for their money.

And soon, we received word that we had won the complete occupation of Latvia:
v210.png

Thus, they accepted our peace terms:
v211.png

And in 1838, our Upper House was rearranged. Fortunately, there was an encouraging amount of Liberal loss:
v281838.png

We decided to use the foreign office to increase our relations with Prussia:
v213.png

To celebrate the victory and entrance into a new league, the King commissioned a new Liquor Distillery in Letuva:
v214p.png

The decision quickly put Lithuania in major debt:
v215.png

Later, our research on Freedom of Trade, which had started in 1836, was complete:
v217.png

This soon provided an exponential increase in profit, which we used to decrease taxes and increase spending: (note the how over 50% of the middle class can't get their needs :S )
v218.png

Again the foreign office was tasked with raising relations with the Bear:
v222.png

And an event:
v223.png
Again, the King decided to increase the amount of liberals. Perhaps he didn't realize what they would do to him if they took power?

And in 1839, the Upper House was rearranged:
v2251839.png

Lithuania had managed to make significant gains after conquering Latvia. They were now ranked the best of the worst, number 17. Now, the question was, what would Russia do once the peace treaty between her and Lithuania was over? The King had until November of 1841 to raise relations to a point where they hopefully wouldn't declare war.

The World in 1840
v2maplit1840111.png

Cool!

Thanks everyone for the wishes of luck! :)
NOTICE: Before I begin, I must confess that I scripted an event similar to the Treaty of London, in which Russia lost all cores on the Baltic states. This is because, after playing from chapter 3 on, I was annexed by Russia every time. No matter what I did (I did quite a bit), I was always annexed. Thus, to provide Lithuania with a fighting chance and my readers with mildly entertaining sustenance, Russia has lost all cores on the Baltic (besides Finland).
-----​
Chapter 4: Toil and Broil

My King had successfully annexed the Latvians (God bless them for not rising against us) by this point, and Lithuania was well on its way to gaining world-wide recognition. The King dreamed of the day when Lithuania would become a Great Power, and show those Russians and Prussians who's boss. For now, however, he had to deal with problems back at home. The two factories; a winery and a liquor distillery, were rapidly losing money. The winery in Latvia had closed, and the other factory was being subsidized, with an average profit of around -£20. Lithuania was also lacking in the field of technology, and had a while to go before she caught up to her neighbors.

Some recent events:

v21.png

v22t.png

v23.png

v25.png

To aid in Lithuania's ascension to greatness, I advised the King to build a new factory in Latvia to replace the bankrupt winery.
v26.png
Unfortunately, the King chose a rather unlikely-to-be-profitable factory, which I advised against. Despite the unprofitability of the factory, it was sure to bring jobs to the Latvians and reduce their tendency to revolt against us.

The King then decided to raise the relations between Lithuania and Russia:

v27.png

And soon, 1841 had arrived:

v28.png
Yet again, there was an increasingly disturbing gain of Liberals in the upper house.

Apparently, the Latvians were refusing to give up their national identity, failing to see that without the unification of the two countries (no matter how they were unified) would save both of them, not just Lithuania, from the Russians:

v29.png

I have forgotten to mention that a while back, the King had commissioned the construction of a Man-o-War and a Clipper Transport to serve as the Lithuanian 1st Fleet, in case we should ever need transport by water:
v210.png

As you can see, the Luxury Clothes Factory is nearing completion.

The Liberals were once again making themselves known:
v211.png

Finally, the Department of Research presented some very important news:
v213.png
The development meant that the Lithuanian Royal Expeditionary Force could now train infantry equal to that of the Great Powers of the world. Over the next couple of years, the current irregular military force was replaced, one division at a time, by the new infantry.

I 1841, a terrible disease of potato struck Lithuania:
v214.png

And another year passed:
v215.png
This year showed encouraging loss of Liberal and Reactionary parties, replaced by the Royalty-sponsored Conservative party.

An interesting event which will certainly be useful in the future occurred early into the year:
v216.png

The year passed with relative ease as the Lithuanian people toiled in the unprofitable factories and the marginally profitable farm fields:
v217.png
A small gain in the Liberal party, but nothing alarming.

A quick look at the population of Lithuania (which is now more Latvian than Lithuanian):
v219.png

It was discovered soon that Lithuania was neck-and-neck with its rival nation of Prussia:
v220.png
If Lithuania could retain number 8, it may have a chance at Greatness.

And the Department of Research again produces good results:
v221.png

Apparently, the recent change in the Upper House did not reflect changes in the populace's ideology:
v224.png

The rebellion was quickly crushed by the new and improved infantry:
v225.png

Will Lithuania be able to maintain status at number 8 long enough to become a Great Power? Will it be able to ally itself with other major powers in the future???

OOC: I forgot the World Map at the end, too late to get it. Nothing much has changed, besides Austria acquiring Posen (I think, that or Schleisen) in the Austrian Brother's War.